Brett Dorian, Smart Business Women, approaches her craft on a far deeper level than just rendering looks. She values the connection and collaborative spirit involved in creating carefully crafted makeup designs, incorporating the mode modern of techniques to fulfill the client’s needs. She realizes the client’s visions through her interpretation during the consultation, and aspires to execute things in a way that is classic yet innovative.
As a high achiever and true artist, she understands and values the importance of advanced education and takes every opportunity for further training in her field to stay current on techniques and products. She provides advanced training for all of the studio’s artists, and makes out-of-state training and trends accessible to her staff through her Minnesota-based studio. It has always been a goal of hers to create a place where artists could work, learn, and grow in their careers. She serves as a mentor and business coach to several artists, and provides professional certification in media makeup artistry, studio hairstyling, and character work for artists.
From beauty makeup and hairstyling to character special effects, and from lifestyle editorial photography to professional headshots, she leads everything for the studio’s clients. She has been doing media artistry work as a part-time freelancer since 2000, and as a full-time freelancer and studio owner since 2008; building her training and experience into what it is today. She was the valedictorian of her undergraduate class at St. Kate’s, receiving a Bachelor of Arts, styling theater, studio art, and education. She got her Masters of Organizational Leadership (MAOL) Certificate in Strategic Management at St. Kate’s as well. Brett also trained in various formal certificate programs, workshops, and seminars for media makeup, studio hairstyling, airbrush, and character/light special effects.
Diplomas and Certificates:
- College of St. Catherine — Bachelor of Arts, St. Paul, MN
- Theatre and Studio Art, Valedictorian St. Catherine University — Masters of Organizational Leadership, St. Paul, MN
- Strategic Management Certification
- Make-up Designory (MUD) — LA Campus
- Character Design, Special Effects Painting and Application
- Joe Blasco Professional Makeup Training Center — East Coast Campus
- Apprenticed with Joe Blasco, Kim Greene, Fred Blau, Travis Pates, Dyana Aives, and Mary Barnard on cosmetics chemistry, department heading, beard work, wig work, beauty makeup, avant garde, fantasy, light SFX, and airbrush
Awards & Scholarships:
- MN Bride Magazine “Best Of” Hair & Makeup Winner 2014
- MN Bride Magazine “Best Of” Hair & Makeup Nominee — 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
- Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine Weddings “Diamond Award” People’s Choice Winner 2012
- Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine Weddings “Diamond Award” Nominee 2014, 2013, 2012
- Martha Stewart Weddings/Weddingwire.com “Bride’s Choice Award” for Best Makeup & Hair — 2012, 2011, 2010
- Better Business Bureau “Integrity Award” Nominee — 2012
- St. Catherine University Undergraduate Valedictorian
- Awarded the 1st Annual Kelly Gleason scholarship from the Powder Group to attend Make Up Designory in LA
- Scholarship to attend the Joe Blasco Professional Makeup Training Center